Written by Michael Williams
-Wei-Yin Chen and Gio Gonzalez, will take the mound.
- Wei-Yin Chen was perfect through the first two innings. He gave up a one out single in the third, which was erased by a tailor made double play. Anthony Rendon singled through the box in the fourth inning after one was down. Chen hit a button on LaRoche's jersey and Ryan Zimmerman singled. A run scored. He struck out Bryce Harper. Looking. A two out single in the fifth with two out was followed by another. Chen struck out Anthony Rendon. Swinging. Jayson Werth homered off Chen with none aboard to start the sixth inning. Two outs and two doubles brought the Nationals within one run and chased the league average lefty before completing the sixth inning.
Final Line: 5.2 innings, 8 hits, 3 runs, no walks, 6 strikeouts, 1 homerun. Win, his ninth
- Tommy Hunter came on in the sixth with a runner on second and two outs. he retired Wilson Ramos on a ground out with one pitch. He pitched a perfect seventh inning.
-Darren O'Day started the eighth inning. Adam LaRoche double with one down. After an intentional walk, with two dow, Ian Desmond swung at strike two but it got away from Caleb Joseph and the runners advanced. He then was hit by strike three, but awarded first base. Bases loaded two down. Pop out. No runs.
- Zach Britton attemped the save. He succeeded.
- Steve Pearce hit a solo homer to left field in the first inning. It was his 11th. He ended Gio Gonzalez' scoreless streak at 22.
- With two out in the third inning, Nick Markakis walked, Steve Pearce singled, Adam Jones doubled to score Nick. Nelson Cruz had an infield single and Ian Desmond commited a throwing error to plate Jones.
- J.J. Hardy led off the the bottom of the fourth with a single. After a double play started by Gio, Caleb Joseph singled as well. Gio caught a screaming line drive hit back at him by Jon Schoop.
- Manny Machado walked, Caleb and Jon both failed to advance him. Nick Markakis walked. Gonzalez was replaced, and Steve Peace grounded out.
Defensive Highlights/ Lowlights
A throwing error by the Nationals' Ian Desmond gave up the winning run.
Key Moments In The Game
With two down, the Orioles rallied for four runs in the third inning. Gritty, Orioles, baseball.
With the basesloaded in the eigthth inning and everone at OPACY holding their breath, Darren O'Day induced a lazy pop fly. For out number three.
Other Notes/ Musings
Adam Jones has some type of leg, foot injury.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board