Written by Michael Williams
Orioles shut out Mariners 1-0
Great win for the Orioles as their offense failed to hit Hisashi Iwakuma but Nick Markakis did, leading off the game with a home run. It was the only score of the game.
- Chris Tillman allow only four hits with no walks and six strike outs in seven full innings on this Sunday afternoon.
- Andrew Miller came on in the 8th inning and got three quick outs, two by strikeout..
- Zach Britton closed out the game allowing only a walk to Robinson Cano.
- Nick Markakis fell a triple short of the cyle, providing all the offense that the Orioles pitching required for the win. He had his 1499, 1500 and 1501 hits as amajor leaguer today.
- David Lough and Manny Machado had the only other hits for the home team today.
- J.J. Hardy made a great over the shoulder catch.
- Nick Hundley was interfered with on a strikeout, attempted steal...but it was not called. He also made a dazzling "wrist only" throw to first on a bunt attempt that recorded the out.
Key Moments in game
- The Mariners put runners on first and third with one out in the second. Chris Tillman then recorded two strikeouts.
Observations and musings
- The Orioles lead the AL East by three and a half games. They play tomorrow night in D.C. before traveling to Canada to face the Blue Jays who are second in the division.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board