The Baltimore Orioles dropped their first decision of the year, with a 7-3 loss to the Detroit Tigers.
With the loss, the O's will have to win tomorrow to earn their second series win.
1) Nice running catch by Jones in the 1st, getting the double-play was a bonus. In the 4th he covered a lot of ground to come-up with a Peralta drive to right. Also showed off his arm strength to almost make a play on a retreating Martinez at 1st.
2) Lee eventually called out on strikes, but he extended the at-bat and increased the pitch-count on Verlander.
3) By the bottom of the 4th, Verlander was in such control, you wondered if the O's would be able to touch him. Markakis did well to work a walk, and get the Tigers Ace out of his groove. Lee immediately followed by providing his HR to right.
4) Roberts got a run back for the O's in the bottom of the 6th by walking, and stealing 2nd. Allowed him to be in scoring position when Guerrero singled to right.
5) Strong play from Reynolds in the Top of the 8th to stop the bleeding.
1) Roberts was credited with the error in the Top of the 2nd, but Markakis needed to call him off and make the play.
2) After the Roberts error, Bergesen got himself into further trouble with the walk to Peralta, and an errant pick-off throw into CF.
3) After two innings of work, Bergesen had throw 49 pitches.
4) Tough night for Bergesen. 3.2 ip, 5 hits, 1 hr, 2 er, 2 bb's, 2 k's. He forced only one grounder, and never seemed to have his sinker working. Spent a lot of time trying to establish his 4 seam fastball.
5) After cutting into the lead in the bottom of the 4th, Rupe allowed back-to-back homers in the top of the 5th. Velocity was plenty solid during his 3 innings of work and 51 pitches, but we did not see much (any?) secondary pitches.
6) Guerrero knocked in Roberts in the bottom of the 6th to cut the deficit to 3. As the play got past the Tigers Catcher Avila, Guerrero attempted to advance to 2nd. By my eye, he appeared to have beat the tag, but was called out. On that type of play though, if you are going to go, you have to definitively make it.
7) Gonzalez did not have much working tonight. Velocity was initially low 89-90, before working-up to the low 90's. 1.1 ip, 2 hits, 1 er, 1 k.
1) Reynolds has always had a high on-base % and an ability to work walks. Right now though, having Reynolds and Jones back-to-back in the lineup needs to be evaluated. Jones continues to aggressively hack away at the plate, and now has 19 official at-bats without a walk. Reynolds has had 18 at-bats without a walk.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board