The Baltimore Orioles lost their 7th consecutive game today, as the Indians finished a 3 game sweep of the Birds in Cleveland.
Now 6-8 on the year, the O's will return home to Baltimore to begin a 10 game home-stand starting tomorrow.
1) In the 4th inning, Roberts led off with a single. With him running on the pitch, Markakis hit a single into the hole between SS and 3rd due to the vacated SS.
2) Bergesen was not perfect, but he provided an effective outing. 5 ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 0 bb's, 3 k's, 10 grounders.
3) Pie got turned around a bit, but ended the 5th with a good catch in CF. I was happy to see him get the start today.
4) In the top of the 6th Reynolds made a decent play, ranging to his left and throwing out Santana.
5) Down 3 runs to start the 7th, it was a good job by Lee to work the lead-off walk.
6) After the Lee walk, Guerrero singled into RF. Choo would bobble the ball, allowing both Lee and Guerrero to advance a base. With Cleveland attempting to make a play on Lee at 3rd, Guerrero did a good job of getting to second.
7) I was not happy with Accrado after the lead-off walk to LaPorta to start the 7th. Give credit to Accardo for forcing Hannahan into a double-play, and striking out Sizemore.
8) Roberts had 3 hits.
1) The 2nd inning HR to Santana was just a horrible pitch. Bergesen grooved a full-count pitch over the middle of the plate at 87 mph, and it was just crushed. Basically a carbon-copy the following inning to Sizemore. 2-0 count, 87 mph fastball down the middle that got launched.
2) Another error for Reynolds at 3rd.
3) The O's first run of the day came on a double-play ball from Lee. In the Top of the 6th, Markakis was up with runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out and hit into another double-play. In the 8th Markakis again had a runner in scoring position, and would ground-out harmlessly to 1st.
4) Similar to the HR Gonzalez allowed yesterday, Accardo allowed a HR to Hafner today in the 6th which just made it that much harder to come back. Accardo would come back out for the 7th, with the O's having scored 1 run in the top of the inning. The first thing he does is walk LaPorta.
5) In the 7th, Pie came to bat with 2 outs and Guerrero on 3rd. Down 2 runs at the time, the O's needed that run. While I respect that Pie hustled out of the box on his weak grounder to SS, swinging at the first pitch was probably not the right approach.
6) Uehara's impressive streak of 36 consecutive appearances without a walk ended today. Everyone gets one (and Uehara was certainly due), but the 2nd walk today put the O's in trouble. (Credit to Uehara for getting out of the inning.)
7) In the 7th, Lee worked a walk to start the inning. In the 9th, again leading off the inning, he swung at the first pitch and flied out to CF.
1) In the 7th the O's had runners on 2nd and 3rd with none out. Scott, Reynolds and Pie were only able to plate one of those runners.
2) Allowing Izturis to bat in the 8th was frustrating. Andino obviously is not the fielder that Izturis is, but he continues to be on the roster. Seems like the opportunity was there to bat Jones in place of Izturis, and have Andino replace Izturis in the field.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board