The Baltimore Orioles got the series win, but were unable to complete the three game sweep; falling to the Boston Redsox 6-2.
With the loss, the O's fall to 10-13 overall, and Boston moves a 1/2 game ahead of the O's.
The Orioles begin a four game series in Chicago tomorrow, with Jake Arrieta scheduled to face John Danks.
1) After some early trouble, Bergesen was able to end the 1st by getting Ortiz to ground into an inning ending double-play. He also posted clean 2nd, 4th, and 5th innings, quickly bringing the O's bats back-up. In the 6th inning, Boston's first two hitters of the inning reached 2nd, and 3rd with none out. Bergesen came back to strike-out Youkilis, and Ortiz. He intentionally walked Drew, and then got Saltalamacchia to end the inning on a fly-out.
1a) Bergesen went 6 innings, allowed 6 hits, 2 er, 2 bb's, with 5 k's. He had 92 pitches, 60 for strikes.
2) Not only did the Orioles come right back after falling behind 1-0, they immediately got to Lester. Roberts worked the walk to start the O's off. Markakis followed with a single. Roberts stole 3rd, and Lee knocked him in.
3) Beautiful play from Reynolds in the 3rd. Ranged far to his left, bare-handed the ball, and delivered a strong throw on the run to get Pedroia. (Obviously a nice scoop by Lee as well.)
4) Markakis ended the 3rd coming in on a ball and making a sliding catch.
5) In the 4th, Jones earned his 4th walk in the past four games.
6) Guererro tied the game at 2, with his 4th homer of the year.
7) The results were not there for Gonzalez, but I thought he looked better tonight. He was not completely falling off the mound, and both his velocity and movement seemed improved.
8) Andino doubled in the 8th.
1) Tough start to the game for Bergesen, as he allowed two doubles and a walk among the first four batters he faced.
2) Jones hit into a double-play to end the O's first. Missed opportunity to add another run. After Jones, and Wieters walked in the 4th, Reynolds was not able to come up with the needed two-out hit.
3) Wieters struck-out for the 7th time in the past 5 games.
4) After Fox ended the 7th by grounding out, I don't understand why he was still in the game in the 8th. Close game, Pie should have been out there for his defense.
1) Gonzalez came into the game in the 8th with Youkilis on 1st with none out. He needed to get Ortiz out, but the DH singled. He made matters much more complicated by loading the bases with the walk to Cameron. Letting up the single to Saltalamacchia (who entered the game with a .488 OPS) was disappointing. On the other-hand, when you are trying to sweep the Sox, is putting Gonzalez into a tight game late (when he has not been used in the past week) the right decision? If you are going to put Gonzalez into a high-leverage situation like that, use him regularly.
2) Lester improves to 14-0 against the Birds.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board