Despite the best efforts of their bullpen, the Baltimore Orioles held on to beat the Chicago White Sox 6-4.
With the win, the O's move back to .500 at 13-13. As NY beat Toronto, Baltimore moves into 3rd place in the American League East.
Baltimore will go for the four game sweep tomorrow.
1) Before the game started, I liked seeing that Pie got the start in CF. He only had 20 ab's in April, and I'd like to see him get a few more regular ab's. In the 3rd Pie would single, and in the 5th he tripled. Wind aided or not, the triple was smoked.
2) Roberts did what he could in the 1st to generate a run. Singling to lead off the game, advancing to 2nd on the balk, and stealing 3rd. In the 5th, Roberts worked a walk to load the bases. (After Pie's triple, and before Roberts walk, Andino had also walked.)
2a) Markakis was the benefactor of that Roberts walk, and he made the White Sox pay with a 3 run double to LCF.
3) Nice double play from Reynolds to Roberts to Lee in the 3rd.
4) The power in the O's lineup is beginning to show with more regularity. Today's examples being the homers from Scott, and Reynolds. No doubt about the shot from Reynolds.
4a) Scott had a .652 OPS on April 21st, and that had been raised to .806 entering today. In addition to his earlier homer, Scott added a 2 out RBI single in the 5th to extend the lead to 6-0.
5) Two more good plays from Reynolds in the 5th and 6th. He has good reactions at the hot-corner.
6) Markakis ended the White Sox 6th inning, with a long run into foul territory to grab the pop-fly from Lillibridge. Just an excellent play towards the line.
7) Britton pitched 6 innings today, allowing 5 hits, 1 er, 3 bb's, with 1 k. He had 96 pitches, 59 for strikes, and got 9 grounders. Another start where Britton was not particularly sharpe, but was still in control of the opposition. The rookie moves to 5-1 on the year, with his ERA now at 2.63.
8) Gregg put the first two runners on in the 9th, but claimed his 5th save in 6 opportunities.
1) Lee and Guererro were not able to drive in Roberts in the 1st. Markakis was not able to get Andino in during the 3rd.
2) In the bottom of the 1st, Britton's afternoon started with a walk to Pierre. In the 5th, this happened again. Pierre entered the game with a .286 on-base %. You have to throw him strikes.
2a) In the 6th, with the O's up 6-1, Britton walked Castro to give the White Sox runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 out. This brought Lillibridge up to the plate, who had just homered the previous inning.
3) I did not like the decision either from the bench, or from Andino himself to sacrifice himself (and advance Pie) in the 3rd. It seemed too early to give yourself up.
4) In the 7th, Beckham was credited with a lead-off double when Pie was unable to come up with the ball in CF. Jim Palmer said Pie overran the ball.
1) Lee struck-out 4 times today, giving him 9 k's in his last 5 games.
2) Continuing what Britton had done earlier, Berken came on in the 7th and allowed Pierre to claim his 3rd walk of the day. That was followed by a walk to Ramirez to load the bases for Carlos Quentin. When you are trying to prevent a team from getting back into a game, you can't give them free runners. Johnson comes in to replace Berken, and walks in a run before getting out of the inning. In the 8th Johnson gets the first two outs, but walks Beckham in-front of Dunn. Dunn homers cutting the lead in half.
2a) Gregg enters in the 9th, and of course his inning started off with a walk. After a single from Quentin, Konerko came to the plate as the potential winning run.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board