The Baltimore Orioles were unable to complete a 4 game sweep in Chicago, losing 6-2 to the White Sox. With the loss, Baltimore falls to 13-14 overall.
Despite not being able to complete the sweep, it was a productive series in the Windy City, with the O's taking 3 of the 4 games.
1) Following-up on his HR yesterday, Reynolds doubled tonight in the 2nd.
2) Lee had three hits (including his 2nd HR) and also walked.
3) Wieters threw out two more runners (even if one of them was Pierre, who was Caught Stealing for the 8th time this year).
4) Hustle double from Jones in the 4th, taking advantage of Pierre's lack of arm in LF. In the 8th Jones was credited with a infield single (even though he was likely out at 1st), but you had to like his effort down the line. He subsequently stole 2nd. 3 hits for Jones.
5) Nice catch from Scott in the 6th, which prevented at-least one additional run from scoring.
6) Markakis had 2 hits, and with the O’s down 6-0 in the 8th he was still going all out trying to catch a pop-fly to shallow right. He always plays the game the right way.
7) Two hits for Guerrero.
1) The O's 1st inning ended with Guererro hitting into a double-play. After a Markakis single leading off the 5th, Lee would follow by hitting in another DP.
2) Jones led off the 4th with a double, Reynolds followed with a strike-out, failing to advance the runner. In the 6th, and 8th Reynolds would also K with Jones on base in front of him.
3) Guthrie walked Ramirez, and Dunn back-to-back in the 6th to load the bases.
3a) Guthrie was irritated with himself for allowing the Rios HR in the 7th. After his struggles in the 6th, I don't think he should have been brought back out.
4) Rupe has now allowed 5 homers in 10.2 innings. His time in an Orioles uniform should quickly be coming to an end.
1) I'm very pleased that the O's have won 5 of their last 7 games. However, this was the second straight series where they were unable to close out with a sweep. Also, there was an opportunity to get over .500 tonight, and I want the O's to get past that threshold.
2) Markakis was hit in the 9th. The ball either hit his wrist or his fingers. Let's hope it does not become anything serious.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board