The Baltimore Orioles had a chance to get back to .500 today, but were crushed in all aspects of the game; falling to 14-16 overall.
The O's return home to face Tampa tomorrow.
1) There were a number of things to like from the O's right away in the first. Markakis singled, Guerrero had his 2nd walk (and a nice slide at 3rd), and Jones went with a pitch outside for an RBI single to RF.
2) Markakis had 2 hits.
3) After 3 hits and a walk yesterday, Reynolds had a hit and a walk today.
4) Rupe saved the bullpen with 3.2 innings of work.
1) In the 1st, Jones did not have a play on Getz at the plate. Jones went home, and without the cut-off, Cabrera was allowed to advance to 2nd. Two pitches later Cabrera would score on a single to RF.
2) To start the game, Tillman allowed 3 consecutive singles (the single to Getz could have easily been called an error on Andino) and was down 2-0. Usually don't see 3 singles result in 2 runs, but there was also a steal and the Cabrera advancement mentioned above.
2a) Tillman had a 3rd runner reach scoring position when he was called for a balk, he would score on the Betemit double.
3) Rapada allowed an earned run for the 5th straight outing.
4) Fox is really struggling behind the plate, both throwing and calling games.
1) Physical errors happen. Mental errors happen. Balls occasionally get lost in the lights or the sun. Watching that ball fall in-between Reynolds and Andino for the Royals 4th run in the 1st inning capped off a very ugly inning.
2) Tillman's 4th started with a walk, and finished with 3 more Royals runs on the board.
He was snake-bit some, but the bottom-line is he was not effective at all. 3.2 innings, 10 hits, 8 er, 1 bb, 3 k's.
3) The Orioles missed a opportunity to get back to Baltimore with a .500 record. They were basically out of the game, by the end of the 1st.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board