The Baltimore Orioles went into tonight with Chris Tillman opposing the 2010 American League Cy Young Award winner Felix Hernandez. Based on that alone, the odds were against an O's win.
Instead, Tillman and the O's reminded all of why you play the games, as he limited the Mariners to 1 run over 6 innings, and Baltimore was able to get to Hernandez.
With the 4-2 victory, Baltimore gets the series win and moves to 16-19 overall.
1) I liked that both Pie, and Andino got worked into the lineup tonight at RF, and 3rd.
2) Tillman was consistently working at 92 or so to start the game. This is the 2nd or 3rd straight start from Tillman we have seen this, so that is one issue (early inning velocity) that appears to have improved. After getting himself into trouble in the 3rd, Tillman did a good job of limiting the damage. The strikeout of Smoak in that inning was critical. After the O's scored 3 runs in the 5th, the Mariners attempted to rally in the 6th. Smoak walked, Cust doubled. Tillman was able to end the inning though with a strikeout of Kennedy.
2a) Tillman went 6 innings, allowed 3 hits, 1 er, 3 bb's, with 5 k's.
3) After Roberts walked and Pie singled to start the bottom of the 3rd, Lee gave the O's their first run on Sac-Fly to deep RF. In the 5th, Lee hit a rocket to left. He would score Baltimore's 2nd run on Scott's single.
4) Jones was 4 for 4 tonight, and has hit in 8 of his last 9 games. Included in those four hits was his two-run triple to RF in the 5th. When he uses the whole-field, he really becomes an exciting player to watch. He is now batting .286, and his OPS is probably around .800.
5) Single, and a walk for Wieters at the plate - and yet another runner thrown out.
6) Scott gave the O's the 2-1 5th inning lead with his single to CF.
7) Outstanding catch from Hardy in the 8th.
8) Uehara pitched for the 2nd consecutive day, and looked good in his inning of work.
9) Gregg earned his 7th save of the year with a 1,2,3 9th inning.
1) The O's had a two out rally in the 2nd with hits from Jones, Wieters, and a walk from Hardy, but were unable to cash in.
2) Tillman drilled Ryan to start the 3rd, and followed that up with a 4 pitch walk to Saunders. Obviously that is never good, but doing it against the 8th and 9th place batters made it even worse.
3) Jones singled, and Wieters walked to start the 4th, but Hardy was unable to advance the runners.
4) Entering the game in the 7th, Berken was touched for a monster HR from Saunders. It was the 5th time in 7 outings Berken has allowed at-least a run.
None. Was a good team victory. After losing four in a row, and having the day off Monday; the O's have responded. Getting back-to-back wins in games started from Pineda, and Hernandez was great see. Means more if Baltimore completes the sweep tomorrow.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board