After sweeping the Seattle Mariners in Baltimore, the O's dropped their 4th consecutive game to the Rays tonight with a loss in Tampa Bay.
The O's fall 5.5 games behind Tampa. Hellickson was again very good, but the O's offense failed to make any adjustments from last week and continues to disappoint.
1) O's turned a good double-play in the 6th. In Spring Training some people were wondering if the time missed by Roberts would impact the timing of himself and Hardy. Does not appear to be an issue, even after Hardy missed those 24 games.
2) After the Longoria double, and intentional walk to Joyce in the 6th; Guthrie won a battle against the red-hot (.938 OPS in May) Kotchman to get out of the inning.
2a) Guthrie went 8 innings, allowed 6 hits, 3 er's, 2 hr's, 2 bb's, with 5 k's.
3) Nice play from Hardy in the 8th to get Fuld. Hardy's arm strength is apparent.
1) Guthrie allowed 2 more homers tonight, meaning he has now allowed 9 in his 52 innings of work.
2) Pie got picked off in the 3rd, and probably should have had Longoria's double in the 6th.
3) After the gift Reynolds single in the 5th, Roberts was not able to give the O's a needed 2 out hit.
1) The lack of run support Guthrie has received this year (and historically) is pretty criminal. Tonight was Guthrie's 8th start in 2011. The O's have scored a combined 16 runs in those games.
2) Roberts and Markakis are hurting the Baltimore lineup with their inability to reach base at the top of the lineup.
3) I want the O's to continue to give regular starts to Reynolds, but he is having a bunch of horrible ab's. Strikeouts are over-rated, but if he is not going to hit for any average; he has to hit for power, and continue to regularly take walks.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board