Down 4-0 early, the Baltimore Orioles battled back to win 6-5 over Kansas City, completing a 3 game sweep of the Royals. Nolan Reimold was the story of the day with 4 hits, including 2 homers, and 4 RBI.
Winners of 5 games in a row, the O's have improved to .500 at 24-24. Baltimore will now head west to face the Oakland Athletics, and Seattle Mariners.
1) Nolan Reimold homered in his first 2 ab's, including a 3 run shot in the 3rd to give the O's a 5-4 lead. We've talked about the opportunity in front of Reimold here. If he hits, they will find ways to keep him here even once Lee returns. In the field, Reimold had a decent running catch in the 5th. In the 6th, he earned his 3rd hit of the day beating out an infield single. In the 11th, Reimold had his 4th hit of the game with ground-rule double in the left-center gap. He also had a walk.
2) Hardy made a nice play in the 2nd, going to 3rd base to retire the lead runner.
3) Markakis didn't get a great jump off the bat, but made a nice diving catch robbing Butler of a hit in the 3rd. Markakis quickly made up ground on the play.
4) Jones is having good success bunting for base hits. For a guy that does not walk a ton, you have to like that he has incorporated this further into his game.
5) Craig Tatum provided a superior defensive play in the 9th, laying out to grab a popped-up bunt Aviles. He also had a solid single to begin the 7th.
6) Uehara was strong in his two innings. After Betemit reached 2nd to being the 9th, Uehara came back to get the Aviles popped-up bunt, and strike out both Pena, and Getz.
7) Guthrie did not have a whole lot today, and he was knocked around a bit for 9 hits. That said, he had zero walks, and allowed just 4 er in his 7 innings of work.
8) Andino had a decent play with the slow roller from Hosmer in the 10th.In the 12th, he had a long ab against Coleman, eventually resulting in a lead off double.
9) Even if Escobar had gotten a hit in the 9th, Showalter made the right decision walking Butler to load the bases. It set-up the force, and clearly Escboar was less of a threat vs. Butler.
10) Moved-up in the order due to his past success against Francis, Reynolds came through with a 2 out hit and RBI in the 3rd. He had his 2nd hit of the game leading off the 11th.
11) Accardo was good in his 2 innings of work. After the O's failed to get the winning run in the 11th, Accardo did a good job of quickly retiring the Royals in the 12th.
12) Guerrero won the game in the 12th, extending his hitting streak to 11 games.
1) In the 2nd inning, Reimold allowed Betemit to advance to 2nd base by choosing to go to 3rd on his throw. After reaching 1st to lead off the 6th, Reimold was thrown out trying to steal 2nd. I liked that he was attempting to get into scoring position, but it appeared he had a poor jump and tried to force it.
2) Tatum's Catching Interference allowed Pena and Getz to move ahead a base, and both would score on the Cabrera single.
3) Down 4-1 in the 3rd, the first two O's batters of the inning had reached base ahead of Markakis. With a weak pop out to CF, Markakis was unable to advance the runners.
4) After coming back from the early 4-0 deficit, and giving Guthrie a 5-4 lead to start the 4th - it was disappointing to allow KC to tie the game right back.
5) Guthrie was credited with an error in the 7th, when a pick-off throw got past Fox at 1st. This allowed Getz to get to 2nd with none out. Guthrie may have been credited with the error, but that is a ball Fox should have had.
6) Andino might want to spend some additional time working on his bunting. Showalter might not want to call for Andino to sacrifice for awhile. In the 7th, Tatum led of the inning with a base hit, and Andino was unable to advance him - stabbing at bunts, and again popping an attempt up.
7) Seems like a waste to get Simon up 3 times without bringing him into the game.
8) While you like that Jones is getting bunts down for hits on a semi-regular basis, I greatly disliked the decision to bunt in the 12th. Jones is one of the best run producers on the team. Andino was already in scoring position. I'd rather he takes a chance to get that run in. In the best case there, he gets the bunt down for a hit, and Andino also advances to 3rd. The result of that would have been an intentional walk to Markakis to set-up a force, I don't think it was worth it.
1) The O's committed their 3rd error of the game, when Jones bobbled the Betemit single in the 9th. Betemit took advantage by advancing to second.
2) Baltimore loaded the bases with none out in the 11th, but could not score. Scott hit a weak grounder to 1st which Hosmer came home with for the 1st out. Pinch hitting for Tatum, Wieters hit into an inning ending double play.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board
Lifelong. Down by the river.
Lifelong. Down by the river.