The Baltimore Orioles shutout the Oakland Athletics 4-0, to set up a potential three game sweep tomorrow. With the win, the O's pull back to within 3 games of .500 at 28-31 overall.
1) I'll admit that I was not looking forward to Jakubauskas starting tonight. Give credit to him for his outing. 5 scoreless innings, allowing just 3 hits, 1 bb, with 5 k's. Based on expectations, that was a superior performance.
2) Batting lead-off tonight, Hardy started things off for the O's offense with a homer to LF in his first ab.
3) Wieters ripped a single in the 2nd, really turning on a pitch. Was good to see.
4) Nice play from Adams in the 5th, backhanding Sizemore's smash.
5) I felt good for Scott tonight. First, he was playing LF which is good for this roster (considering Lee, and Gurerrero can only play 1st and DH), and secondly he got around completely on his HR to Eutaw Street. The 7th inning double was icing on the cake. Perhaps the cortisone shot had some immediate effect.
6) Reynolds ended the Oakland 6th, snaring a line drive towards the 3rd base line. He also had a walk, and an RBI double.
7) Jones provided the O's 3rd homer of the night with his blast in the 6th. Was good to see Jones come back with 3 hits tonight after his 0 for 4 last night.
8) Lee showed his reactions with a great grab in the 9th.
9) Rapada, Accardo, and Uehara combined for 4 innings of scoreless relief.
1) After singles by Jones, and Guerrero to start the 4th, Lee grounded into a double-play.
2) For the fourth time in the last six games, Markakis was held without a hit.
3) Adams was also held without a hit, and I assume will be sent back to AAA shortly. I don't understand the lack of playing time he has received. He has been up since May 20th, and tonight was his first start since the 28th. Hard for anyone to produce with playing time that sporadic.
None. After arriving in Oakland riding a 5 game winning streak and with a .500 record overall, the O's were swept against the A's. Less than two weeks later, it is nice to see the O's on the verge of turning the tables against Oakland 3,000 miles away.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board