The O's won the series finale over Oakland 3-2 tonight, completing a sweep of the Athletics in the 3 game set. This was a nice turn of events for the O's after recently being swept in Oakland.
After back-to-back subpar outings, Britton got himself back on track tonight and would earn his 6th win. With 1 er over his 6.1 innings, his ERA falls to 3.18.
Baltimore improves to 29-31 on the year.
1) Britton was on his game early, finishing the 2nd inning with 23 total pitches thrown including 16 for strikes. In the 3rd, Britton allowed a double to Weeks with 1 out. He came back to strike out Crisp, and Barton to end the inning. In the 6th, Britton allowed two hits to start the inning, but was able to limit the damage with a double-play ball.
1a) Strong night for the Rookie, with Britton going 6.1, allowing 1 er, 4 hits, 2 bb's, with 6 k's, and 8 grounders. Only 79 pitches (50 strikes) for Britton, but I thought he was pulled at the appropriate time. In the 6th, he had allowed the two hits to start the inning, got the double play, and allowed another walk. In the 7th, he began the inning with a walk. If he had something left, you could argue Showalter wanted to make sure he left the game with his confidence at a high. Sure the heat was wearing him down as well.
2) After Guerrero's bid for extra-bases was caught in CF, Lee had the O's first hit of the game with a liner of his own.
3) Markakis had a decent catch moving to his right in the 3rd.
4) I won't point it out every game, but Reimold's constant hustling is always apparent.
5) Reynolds came in on a ball in the 5th, making a good throw across his body for the out. In the7th he had another decent play coming in and going to 2nd to get the lead runner.
5a) In the bottom half of the inning, Reynolds hit his 10th homer of the year, a 2 run shot into the O's bullpen. Reynolds had raised his OPS over .700 after yesterday's game, and his 3rd homer of the Month will only elevate that further. In the 8th, Reynolds reached on a swinging bunt, and would be credited with a steal.
6) Guerrero singled to start the 5th, and advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch as he hustled down the line (even if his slide was not overly 'graceful').
7) Lee, and Wieters would strike out after Guerrero's 5th inning single, but Hardy picked the offense up with an RBI line drive into RCF.
8) Johnson looked good in his 1.2 innings, striking out Willingham with the tying runner on to end the 8th.
9) Gregg earned his 12th save, and has now not allowed an earned run over his last 7 innings.
10) Andino had two good plays in the 9th to help out Gregg.
1) Wieters ended the O's 2nd hitting into a double-play. Jones did the same to end the 6th.
2) After Guerrero singled to begin the 5th, Lee and Wieters both struck-out.
3) Handed the 3 runs in the bottom half of the 5th, Britton would allow a single to Weeks, and double to Crisp to start the 6th.. After getting Barton to hit into the double play, he walked Jackson to immediately put another runner on. Britton began the 7th by walking Suzuki.
4) Pie pinch hit for Reimold in the 8th. Why was he not used for defense in the top of the inning?
1) Reimold was charged with a error in the 8th, which allowed Weeks to reach 3rd to begin the inning. Weeks would score on a sac-fly and not give the O's a lot of breathing room to close the game.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board
Lifelong. Down by the river.
Lifelong. Down by the river.