Baltimore dropped a 4-2 decision against the Nationals today. With the loss the O's lose the series, and fall to 31-37 overall.
1) Matusz's velocity was up, which was good to see. If the apparent cramping in his hamstring is not serious, the day was ok. Ok mainly because any concerns that something was bothering his arm were answered.
2) Jones followed up his 4 hits last night with a homer in the 1st today.
3) Like Jones, Lee picked up right off from his 5 hits yesterday with another 2 hits today.
4) As he has done numerous times this year, Reynolds made a great play at 3rd today in the 4th. Made another good play in the 7th. Now if he could just make the routine plays more routine. Added a single and a walk offensively today.
5) Reimold broke out of his mini-slump with a pinch hit single in the 7th.
6) Markakis extended his hitting streak (9 games) with another single today.
7) Pie had his first walk of the year in the 8th, which allowed the O's to bring the tying run to the plate.
1) After being provided with the early 1-0 lead, Matusz gave it right back in the bottom of the 1st with a homer to Zimmerman. With two outs in the 4th, Matusz walked Hairston to give the Nationals two runners on base. At this point in their respective careers, you would hope to see Matusz daring Hairston to beat him. Morse went opposite field for his HR in the 6th, but it was an 87 mph fastball out over the plate where he could extend his arms.
1a) Following-up the Morse hr, Espinosa singled and Matusz effectively allowed him to steal 2nd.
1b) Matusz had to leave the game in the 6th with a leg injury.
1c) Matusz's final line was 5.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 er, 2 hr, 3 bb's, 5 k's. 90 pitches, 52 strikes.
2) I don't care how old Rodriguez is, I can't understand Lee trying to run on him.
3) Batting with 1 out in the 4th, Reynolds came to plate with runners on 1st and 3rd. The O's needed a ball in play there, but Reynolds would strike out. In the 8th, Reynolds would strike out looking with Pie on base.
4) Scott had to leave the game with back-spasms.
5) Markakis and Jones both batted in the 7th with 2 runners on base, and combined to pop out to shallow left and strike out. They both had 4 hits last night. Jones has been hot for the past 6 weeks, and homered today. Still, when your best players get the opportunity to get you back into / or win games, they have to come through.
1) Rodriguez was just 3 for 15 against LHP here in '11, but the decision to allow Rapada to pitch to him in the 6th was still poor.
2) If you are the O's, you can not lose a series in DC if you want to be significantly improving the record.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board