The Baltimore Orioles won their second straight game, with an 8-3 rout of the Pirates in Pittsburgh. With the win, the O's are now 33-37 overall. It was nice seeing a professional Baltimore team have no problem scoring early and often in the Steel City. Tomorrow in the '71 throw-back uniforms, the O's will attempt to secure the series win.
1) The first inning was fun. Can't start a series much better than that. Capped off with the highlight of Arrieta dropping a single into RF knocking in Reynolds for the O's 5th run.
2) With that long 1st inning, and having batted himself, it would have been somewhat understandable if Arrieta had difficulties in the bottom of the inning. It was good to see that he did not, and quickly put the Pirates back into the field.
3) Markakis had 3 hits, extending his hitting streak to 11 games. The 3rd hit was an infield single the result of hustle, and perhaps a generous call.
4) Wieters ended his recent 0 for 11 with his 2nd inning double.
5) Hardy had 2 hits, giving him his 9th two hit game of the month, and an overall OPS of nearly .900. In the 6th, Hardy took a ball over the middle tagging McCutchen, and throwing to 1st for a double play. In the 8th Hardy added a walk.
6) Andino had 2 hits. He had a nice play in the 4th, when Cedeno hit a hard grounder to his left.
7) After 9 hits over the weekend in DC, Lee had two more hits tonight.
8) Reynolds had a hit, and 3 walks. His batting average is now .220, and his OPS probably went over .800 tonight.
9) With the help of Hardy's defense, Gonzalez had a scoreless 6th inning. He has now allowed 2 er in his 6.2 innings of work during June.
10) Jones' 8th inning single gave him 2 hits, and was the O's 14th hit of the night.
11) Berken looked good during his 2 innings.
12) Gregg quickly ended things in the 9th.
1) Provided with a 7-0 lead, Arrieta walked Jones to start the 2nd. After McCutchen singled to start the 4th, Arrieta again walked Jones.
1a) Would have liked to have seen Arrieta be able to go deeper into the game, as he was pulled after the 5th. 5ip, 3 hits, 3 er, 2 bb's, 2 k's. 87 pitches, 54 strikes. He got the Pirates to hit 6 grounders.
2) Pie took a bit of an awkward route on the McCutchen double to start the 6th. At the plate, Pie was 0 for 5, and now has just 5xbh's in his 105 ab's.
None. The O's won their 2nd game in a row, and came out swinging to take this first game in Pittsburgh.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board