Zach Britton lost for the 4th time in 5 decisions, as the Orioles fell to the St. Louis Cardinals 6-2. Baltimore drops to 35-41 overall.
1) Markakis extended his hitting streak to 17 games with a first inning double, tying his career high. After the Hardy homer in the 8th, Markakis singled and would score on the subsequent Jones double. Markakis is an excellent base runner.
2) With Freese on 3rd in the 2nd, Wieters was doing a good job blocking the plate for Britton. Allowed Britton to throw his full assortment of pitches, not worried about a wild pitch.
3) After the rain delay, Rapada did his job coming in to get Hamilton.
4) Britton was ok. 5.2 innings, 7 hits, 4 er, 2 bb's, 3 k's. He threw 90 pitches, 55 for strikes, and got 10 grounders.
5) Hardy went deep in the 8th for the 11th time this year.
6) Jones doubled in the 8th, going with the pitch to RF.
7) Down 4 runs in the 9th, Scott made an excellent play taking away a 2nd homer from Holliday.
1) Guerrero had a weak swing in his ab in the 1st, grounding out to 1st to end the inning with Markakis on 3rd. Guerrero (and Wieters) failed to score Jones in the 8th.
2) Britton allowed St. Louis to take a 3-0 lead, when he failed to put away the Cardinals' 8th (Hamilton), 9th (Punto), and leadoff (Theriot) hitters in the 2nd.
3) With runners on 1st and 3rd and 2 out in the 2nd, Andino struck out looking. Lohse worked inside and out, and Andino was clearly uncomfortable.
4) Berken allowed a homer to Holliday, immediately upon entering the game.
5) After Scott's defensive play in the top of the 9th, he appeared to have irritated his injured shoulder. In the bottom of the inning, Blake Davis PH for him, giving further indication Scott was hurt. If Scott does not go on the DL, it should be a priority to release Guerrero and move Scott to the everyday DH.
1) Jones took a poor route on Punto's 'triple' in the 7th. The play needed to be made, and effectively gave St. Louis an additional free run.
2) Andino doubled up on a base running error when Hardy lined out in the 5th.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board