There were several players that left the Orioles organization this season.
1) Miguel Socolovich. Soco and Gonzalez were two of the Orioles minor league free agents who earned their way to the majors this year with impressive seasons at Norfolk. Unlike Gonzalez, Soco couldn't translate his success to the majors while with the Orioles. DD decided to DFA Soco when a roster spot was needed for JC Romero. The Cubs claimed him and used him mostly in one inning stints, something that Baltimore did not do. Soco was only scored on 2 out of his 6 appearances with Chicago, as opposed to 5 of his 6 with Baltimore. He will most likely return to Iowa in the spring but be one of the first call ups for Chicago.
2) Jason Berken. Berken was DFA'ed in September to make room for LJ Hoes. Berken was also claimed by the Chicago Cubs and was given 4 starts down the stretch in place of young starters the Cubs wanted to shut down. He didn't get out of the 4th inning in 3 of his 4 starts, going 0-3 against PIT, COL, and HOU, ironically throwing 6 shut out innings against CIN. His role remains unclear for 2013 but is most likely viewed as a bullpen arm and/or long reliever.
3) Brad Bergesen. Bergesen was optioned to the minors during ST and was later DFA to make room on the 40 man roster. He went unclaimed before being added to the roster a few weeks later and promptly DFA'ed the next day and claimed by Arizona. Many saw the move as DD trying to unload his $800K salary on another team. BB's peripherals returned to their levels in his amazing 2009 rookie campaign. Posting the lowest BB/9 and HR/9 of his career. He logged an ERA+ of 115 in 29.2 IP out of the bullpen. He will most likely be a fixture in Arizona's bullpen next year.
4) Josh Bell. Bell was DFA'ed at the beginning of the season and DD was able to work out a deal with Arizona for Belfiore. Bell posted an OPS over 1 at AAA for Arizona before being promoted and showing why he will never be a major league player. After posting an OPS of .500, he as banished back to the minors on June 26th and wasn't seen from again. He will most likely be DFA'ed by Arizona and will declare minor league free agency.
5) Brandon Snyder . Snyder was traded to Texas for cash considerations to make room on the 40 man roster for the waiver claim of Jai Miller from Oakland. Snyder got in 38 games as a bench player through end of July but was demoted and only got in to two games in September. He posted a .277/.309/.446/.755 line with 3 HR and a 26:3 K:BB ratio. Ironically, his AAA numbers were worse than what he posted in the majors.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board