by Hangout Staff
I am giving you my reasons, in order.
1. We are excellent defensively, especially on the left side of the infield. We simply don't give away runs: 22 unearned runs on the season compared to 37 for the average AL team. And we take away a lot of runs.
2. Our bullpen is nails when it counts. The 'pen is first in the majors in Win Probability added, at 6.79.
3. Our starting pitching is vastly underrated, and has been great for 2.5 months now.
4. The team hits the long ball better than any team in the game, and it comes from all over the lineup.
5. Its a tough-minded team, that never gives up when it's down and never lets a difficult loss set it back. They don't back down from a challenge, ever.
For me, that's the 2014 Orioles. Points 1, 4 and 5 have been true since the day Manny Machado arrived to solidify the defense in 2012. Last year the pitching disappointed and cost us a serious shot at the playoffs. This year's staff has not disappointed. But to me it's still the defense that makes the pitching go.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board